Strategic Violent Crime Defense Attorneys in Lebanon
Representing those accused of murder, homicide, assault and other violent crimes in Nashville, Mt. Juliet, Cookeville, and throughout Tennessee
When it comes to violent crimes, typically defined as those which pose some kind of threat to a person, the stakes are high. The incarceration rates are lengthier, the fines and penalties are steeper, and the potential damage that can be done to your reputation is longer-lasting than many other types of crimes.
At Lowery, Lowery & Cherry, PLLC, we understand what you are facing. Our violent crimes lawyers litigate complex cases involving accusations of violent crimes in state and federal courts throughout Tennessee. When your life could literally be on the line, you want our team of Lebanon criminal defense and trial attorneys working on your defense.
What makes the defense of violent crimes different?
Every client deserves a strategy rooted in both knowledge of the law, and a willingness to fight hard on behalf of a client. Charges involving violent crimes, however, are often more challenging. First, because violent acts tend to make headline news, which can affect every element of a case from jurisdiction, to jury selection, to the court of public opinion. Second, most people of accused of violent crimes face multiple charges, many of which are (to the non-lawyer) so similar that a conviction on one would seem to preclude a conviction on others.
The real difference, however, comes with the ability of your lawyer to negotiate a lesser charge for repeat offenders. A person who has been previously charged with, and convicted of, a crime like simple assault may not be given the benefit of the doubt if they are charged with assault again in the future, regardless of any extenuating circumstances. Furthermore, certain charges will have increased fines and penalties if the accused has been previously convicted of the crime at an earlier date, which means the stakes are higher.
What types of violent crime charges does your firm handle?
Lowery, Lowery & Cherry offers aggressive, comprehensive counsel on behalf of clients charged with all manner of violent crimes. Our team of Lebanon criminal defense lawyers have the acumen, resources, and experience to represent you if you have been charged with:
- Criminal homicide. Criminal homicide is defined as the unlawful killing of another person. It includes first-degree murder, second-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, and vehicular homicide. Tennessee still employs the death penalty for first-degree murder. Our lawyers have successfully defended clients facing each one of these charges. When your life is on the line, call us. We can defend you in state or in federal court.
- Sex crimes. There are 20 different sub-categories of sexual offenses under Tennessee law, ranging in severity from public indecency to the aggravated rape of a child. A conviction can land you on the Tennessee Sex Offender Registry and/or the Federal Sex Offender Registry. We will fight to have your charges dropped, to keep you out of prison and off the Registry, or to have your name removed from the Registry if you are currently listed. We also represent Uber and Lyft drivers accused of assaulting their passengers.
- Kidnapping. Kidnapping is not just a stranger swiping a child; it can be, and has successfully been, levied against divorced parents who are fighting over custody. You can be charged if someone claims you coerced them into traveling with you. Kidnapping also includes human trafficking. Both individuals and corporations can be accused of kidnapping, because its definition and its application are so broad. If you are facing kidnapping charges, you need a skilled defense lawyer immediately.
- Assault. Simple assault is a Class A misdemeanor and aggravated assault is typically a Class C felony. Either way, a conviction means incarceration, fines, and a permanent mark on your record, which could keep you from finding a job or getting financial aid.
- Robbery. Robbery is a different kind of theft crime. As opposed to classification as a crime against property, it is classified as a crime against a person, because only a person, and not a place, can be robbed. Furthermore, the use of violence and/or fear in the commission of the crime is why robbery is considered a violent crime, and designated a Class C felony.
How a Lebanon violent crime defense attorney can help
A conviction on any one of these charges will cost you more than just time and money. You could lose your professional license. You could be denied housing. If you are on a path to citizenship, you could find yourself deported. You do not have time to wait.
Lowery, Lowery & Cherry will start building your defense strategies, even if you have not yet been charged. We can ensure that you are questioned properly by law enforcement, so that you do not incriminate yourself. We can work to have you released from jail if the police use stalling tactics to keep you wrongfully imprisoned. We will review the evidence against you, work with experts in the field and eyewitnesses, handle depositions, and negotiate a plea deal if it is in your best interest.
What sets our firm apart, however, is our ability to prepare you for trial. Partner Jeff Cherry was a Metro Police Officer for 10 years. He knows what questions the police will ask, how the prosecutors will examine and present evidence, and what tactics they will use to poke holes in the defense. We are able to counter these actions before they even happen because we leverage our collective resources, and Mr. Cherry’s particular experiences, during our preparation.
If you need to testify, we will teach you how to respond honestly and respectfully to the questions you are asked. Our job is to minimize not only the impact of the prosecution’s case, but to eliminate any possible “surprises” that could put your future in jeopardy.
Contact an aggressive Lebanon violent crimes defense lawyer for a consultation today
If you have been charged with a violent crime, time is of the essence. The experienced Lebanon violent crimes defense lawyers of Lowery, Lowery & Cherry, PLLC offer comprehensive counsel and strategic options for presenting your case. Please get in touch with us today for knowledgeable representation. We serve clients in Nashville, Mt. Juliet, Cookeville, or elsewhere in Tennessee. To set up a consultation, call 615-454-9404 or fill out our contact form.